PUTRAJAYA MAR. 28: Police had detained 116 Muslims “jemaah” for performing Friday prayers in five separate mosques in the country as it was against the Movement Control Order (MCO) that prohibits public gathering.
Defence Minister, Datuk Seri Ismail Sabril Yaakob said, even though directives from the Minister of Religious Affairs had prohibited Friday prayers to be held in the mosque but still it was not complied.
“The enforcement of MCO applies to all the people and this includes the “gated community” where people are found jogging in groups. They are not exempted from offending the MCO,” said Ismail in a press conference here today.
Ismail who is also a Senior Minister (Security Cluster) added, as of Friday (Mar.27) the rate of MCO compliance had increased to 97% as a result of stricter rules carried out by the police and the military on duty.
However he said since Thursday almost 400 people have been detained for not complying to MCO while 1,046 road blocks had been carried out with 20,452 vehicles had been checked.
The minister also thanked and appreciated some non-governmental organisations (NGO) that had helped the people affected by COVIDS-19 outbreak by giving out food and daily necessities.
However he said, they (NGOs) are not allowed to move freely and advised them to send the food to the Welfare Department as the collecting centre for the local community. The food deliveries to the respective homes will be done by the People’s Volunteer Corps (RELA) and the Civil Defence Forces (APM) staffs.
Regarding fake news on COVID-19 that have been going viral recently, Ismail said, 114 cases have been reported and from that police have opened seven investigation papers.
“The fake news had mentioned the government will impose an emergency soon and thus had caused the people to be panicky. It is not Emergency Order but MCO under 342 Act, Ministry of Health,” he added.
Ismail also advised the people to be aware of scammers trying to cheat the people when the government announced that members of the Employee Provident Fund (EPF) could withdraw their money from Account 2.
The Senior Minister also highlighted that 3,162 Malaysians are still stranded in 60 countries. From that 2,612 have been brought back while 1,988 are still stranded in India.
“The government is ready with 12 flights to take them back and we thanked Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC) for sponsoring the flights. Meanwhile, Malaysians from Egypt will be brought back tomorrow via Brunei transit.
“I advise all Malaysians including the students who are stranded overseas to liaise with the Malaysian embassy from time to time to get information about their trip home,” he said. –Malaysia World News