KUALA LUMPUR AUG.23: Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob today has made his first working visit to the flooded areas in Yan and Merbok, Kedah and announced RM75 million allocations for infrastructure recovery and repair works of the drainage and water supply system.
The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) in its statement said, the allocation will involve the upgrading of the river and drainage system involving 27 kilometres in phase one costing RM5 million, building two new bridges totalling RM23 million, building Sabo Dam Phase One RM20 million and upgrading and repair works of the intake water treatment plant in Tupah and Gurun amounting RM2 million.
The Prime Minister has also announced RM3 million allocations for those affected in the flood to repair their houses under the housing for the poor programme (PPRT).
The PMO statement added, Ismail has also handed over the food basket kit aids to the people and a token of RM500 from the Federal Government to the head of every household and RM5,000 Special Aid for the Management of the Dead caused by the flood.
“The aid is allocated by the Kumpulan Wang Amanah Bantuan Bencana Negara (KWABBN that is managed by the National Disaster Management Agency (NADMA).
“A total of 1,732 families had been affected in the disaster that happened on Wednesday (18th Aug.) and recorded six deaths.
“According to the state government reports, 1,856 houses including business premises had been affected including 148 in Gurun (113 houses and 35 business premises), 493 in Merbok (465 houses, 28 premises),1,015 in Yan (954 houses, 61 premises) and 200 houses at Singkir sub-district,” the statement added.
The statement said, the aid includes repairing the local authorities’ facilities and recovery works of the village tourism sector totalling RM12.7 million. The aid also includes repairing works for the water supply to the community infrastructure, recovery of padi planting areas, road repair, drains and small bridges costing RM2.95 million. –Malaysia World News