More than 1,000 men reported as victims of sexual harassment –Minister Nancy


nancy

KUALA LUMPUR: The Minister of Women, Family and Community Development (KPWKM) Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri affirms that male sexual harassment cases are on the rise in the country.

Nancy said, the ministry via the “Jerayawara Kasih” KPWKM@ Antigangguan Seksual had received more than 1,000 reports of sexual harassment on the males involving various ages since it was launched last year.

“When the programme started, only few cases have been received, possibly they did not want to report to the police but brave enough to report to our councillors.

“There were over 1,000 complainants (males) who had reported to KPWKN asking for advice relating to the sexual harassment that they had gone through,” Nancy said.

Nancy told the media after officiating the “Kasih Semurni Usaha KPWKM@Antigangguan Seksual” and the launch of the “Zero Sexual Harassment on Campus” campaign organised by the Institut Sosial Malaysia (ISM) with the cooperation of International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) here Thursday.  

Referring to the Tribunal for Sexual Anti-Harassment (TAGS), Nancy told Bernama that it had started operating on 11th March 2024 and is now studying and analyzing every complaint received for follow-up action.

“More importantly we listen to the case whether it is suitable for action to be taken (on legal aspects) and they will provide with advice. Statistically, it is not high yet but many people have enquired about TAGS,” she said.

Nancy highlighted that TAGS was established to receive reports on sexual harassment acts that happened on or after 8th March 2024. It provides an alternative channel to the civil court to handle cases faster, easier and with minimum cost for the victim to take action against the accused to get compensation as the result of the harassment that he has gone through.            


more recommended stories