PUTRAJAYA MAY 1: The government has decided to allow selected economic and social activities to resume on May 4 with strict standard operating procedure (SOP) under the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO).
Prime Minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said, most of the economic and social sectors will resume on Monday except those involving gathering that will expose the public to the risk of COVID-19 infection.
Muhyiddin said, CMCO will also be enforced in areas with high COVID-19 infection records.
“The decision to balance up between the need to recover the economy and the importance to curb COVID-19 pandemic has been made after the Economic Action Council, Malaysian National Security (MNS) and the Cabinet Minister held a meeting recently,” said Muhyiddin in his Labour Day Celebration speech on a direct televised programme here today.
The prime minister added; amongst the business sectors that are not allowed to operate include cinema, karaoke, reflexology and entertainment centres, night club, theme park, Ramadan and Aidilfitri bazaar, sales carnival and all kinds of conference and exhibition.
Apart from that, he said, sports activities including football, rugger, swimming and all indoor and stadium sports events are not allowed. However, badminton, tennis, jogging, cycling, golf and running in a group of not more than 10 people without body contact and adhering social distancing are allowed.
Muhyiddin also emphasized, interstate travel including going back for Aidilfitri is not allowed except to go to work or to go back to the house after having been stranded at the home town or other places.
“At the moment all schools, colleges and institutes of higher education are still closed and the full list of activities banned could be referred to MNS website. The list will be reviewed from time to time depending on the development of COVID-19 infections,” said Muhyiddin.
According to Muhyiddin all business and social sectors are allowed to operate depending on the conditions and current procedures and SOPs that have been fixed by the authorities.
Earlier in his speech he highlighted that the country has lost RM2.4 billion a day throughout the enforcement of MCO and currently the losses is estimated at RM63 billion.
“If the MCO is to be continued for another month, Malaysia will lose RM35 billion that brings the cumulative total to RM98 billion,” said Muhyiddin.
He also said, everybody is worried if the MCO is lifted when the virus is still around even though the number of infections has dropped.
Muhyiddin added, with the advice of the Ministry of Health and World Health Organization (WHO), the government has decided to open up the economic sectors in a careful manner with the enforcement of strict health SOP. –Malaysia World News