Driver of tour bus that overturned, killing two, does not have a driving licence


1719705866723 scaled

KUALA LUMPUR: The Bentong district police chief Superintendent Zaiham Mohd Kahar confirmed that the driver of a tour bus that overturned killing two passengers at KM 16.5 Jalan Genting-Bentong does not possess a driving license.

Zaiham said, the driver aged 32 years old has 27 traffic summonses previously and operated the bus without a license on the day of the tragic accident.

“Twenty-one people including 18 foreign passengers and three locals namely the driver, his assistant and a tour guard were on the bus,” he said adding that the driver is still receiving treatment from the crash as reported by NST.

According to Zaiham, investigations had shown that the bus driver likely lost control of the vehicle while driving downhill before crashing into the concrete divider.

He added, the two male foreign passengers who were killed in the incident were Zhang Ping, 58 and Wang Shuhong, 49, both from China. They succumbed to their injuries on the spot.

Meanwhile, 13 passengers are being treated at the Hospital Kuala Lumpur, while six others at Bentong Hospital. The remains of the two passengers were taken to Bentong Hospital for post-mortem.

Zaiham urged witnesses in the accident case to come forward to assist the police by contacting the Bentong district police headquarters.

Two passengers were killed in the accident that occurred at 10.40am while 19 injured after the tour bus carrying them knocked the divider while travelling downhill along Jalan Genting-Bentong, Saturday.


more recommended stories