COVID-19: 113 new deaths, 5 new clusters 


covid malaysia

PUTRAJAYA MAR 10: There were 113 deaths caused by COVID-19 infection as of 9th Mar. 2022 bringing the cumulative totals to 33,497 since the pandemic started in early 2020.

Director General of Health, Tan Sri Dr. Noor Hisham Abdullah said, since 9th Mar. the process of announcing deaths caused by COVID-19 has improved where deaths have to be reported within 72 hours with a set target of 80 per cent of the total death cases. This will reduce the late reporting of death cases or backlog.

Dr. Noor Hisham said, on average, from 1st Mar. to 8th Mar. 2022, 77 per cent of death reports were within this period. This indicates that compliance with the reporting of deaths from the field was found to be increasingly improving than before.

However, Dr. Noor Hisham said, on 9th Mar. out of 113 deaths announced, it was found that only 65 deaths (58 per cent) were reported to be on time for reporting within 72 hours while the remaining 48 deaths (42 per cent) were reported over 72 hours.

“A review by the Ministry of Health with all State Health Departments (JKN) found that the delay in reporting deaths was due to technical factors. For example, cases of deaths that occur in district hospitals located in rural areas including Brought in Dead (BID) cases that require further investigation and reports from specialists need to be handled by a nearby large hospital,” Dr. Noor Hisham said in a statement here today.

He added, this delay factor has been examined and improvement measures have been taken to ensure the timeliness of COVID-19 death reporting in Malaysia can be further improved.

In another development, the new COVID-19 cases has recorded 30,246 bringing the cumulative totals to 3,711,199 while 26,653 cured cases contributing to 3,367,542 cumulative cases or 90.7 per cent.

Dr. Noor Hisham added, 388 cases have to be admitted to the Intensive Care Units (ICU) while 225 cases needed respiratory assistance.

“From the new cases, 29,828 are locally infected involving 29,029 citizens (97.3 per cent) while 799 non-citizens (2.7 per cent) with 418 imported cases involving 388 citizens (92.8 per cent) and 30 non-citizens (7.2 per cent).

“From the 30,246 daily cases reported , 9,797 (32.39 per cent) are in category 1; 20,226 cases (66.87 per cent) category 2: 115 cases (0.38 per cent) in category 3; 54 cases (0.18 per cent) in category 4; and 54 cases (0.18 per cent) in category 5,” Dr. Noor Hisham said.

He stressed that of the 223 new COVID-19 cases of categories 3, 4, and 5 ,58 cases (26.01%) were not vaccinated or had not been completely vaccinated; 107 cases (47.98%) had received two (2) doses of COVID-19 vaccine but had not received a booster dose; 58 cases (26.01%) had received a booster dose; 120 cases (53.81%) were aged 60 years and above; 53 cases (23.77%) had co-morbidities; and one case (0.45%) was a pregnant mother.

Regarding clusters, the Director General said, five new clusters were formed with 424 still active, 6,441 have expired and 6,865 clusters have been formed since the COVID-19 pandemic started in early 2020.

Meanwhile the COVID-19 infectivity rate of Malaysia based on the daily cases on 9th Mar. is 1.06 while Sarawak 1.36,Kuala Lumpur 1.19; Terengganu 1.16; Perak 1.14; Negeri Sembilan 1.07; Kedah, Selangor and Melaka 1.05; Pahang 1.04; Pulau Pinang 1.02; Putrajaya 1.01; Perlis and Johor 0.99 while Kelantan 0.97, Labuan 0.91 and Sabah 0.79. –Malaysia World News

 


more recommended stories