99 Malaysians returning from Indonesia tested Covid-19 positive

IMG 20200427 113114

CORONAVIRUS: 139 Malaysians returning from abroad have been tested Covid-19 positive, 99 of them (more than 70%) came from Indonesia, according to the Health Ministry’s data.

Health Ministry director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah (pic) said since the implementation of the compulsory quarantine on Malaysians returning from abroad, following a strict targeted approach, more coronavirus cases were detected.

“To date, with the targeted approach, the Health Ministry has been successful in detecting more Covid-19 cases,” Hisham said at a press conference in Putrajaya yesterday.

12,672 returnees have undergone screening.

71.22 percent of imported cases under quarantine are from Indonesia, Noor Hisham said, adding that the remaining cases are from the UK, Singapore, Turkey, and the US.

Noor Hisham also said that  638 people live in the red zone areas under enhanced MCO were tested positive for the virus. 388 of them (61%) are foreigners. The remaining 250 cases or 39 percent are Malaysians.

6,229 religious students, teachers and staff have been also tested, he added,  and 341 of them were found covid-19 positive.

Malaysia has so far recorded more than 5,780 cases and 98 deaths. 3,862 people have recovered and discharged from hospital.

Graduate with a Master of Mass Communication. 10 years working experience in the media and broadcasting.

more recommended stories