PM Muhyiddin to make special announcement on COVID-19 pandemic, Monday


20201117 111223

KUALA LUMPUR JAN.8: Further action on the ways to curb the surge of COVID-19 that remains consistently at four digits since November 2020 will be announced by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin on Monday.

Senior and Defence Minister, Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said, the surge of COVID-19 was on its highest when it reached 3,027 cases on 7th Jan.2021.

He said, the trend is a worrisome and the government is taking the new development seriously besides considering the people’s suggestions and grievances on the spike of COVID-19 cases in the country.

“The government also understands the heavy job loads that have been shouldered by the health staffs following the rise in the COVID-19 cases along with several states being hit by serious flood.

“Even though the standard operation procedure (SOP) in handling the flood is very strict but many are worried that the flood will become one of the causes of the transmission of COVID-19,” said Ismail in his daily press conference held here today.

In relation to that Ismail said, the government through a special meeting with the National Security Council (NSC), is detailing and evaluating the actions that will be taken immediately to control the transmission of COVID-19.

Ismail added, the action includes considering the implementation of more stringent SOPs especially in the social sectors apart from reducing movements and simultaneously the risk of COVID-19 infections.

On the development of the national borders’ control, Ismail said, to strengthen the border control at Pulau Ketam, Selangor the government has agreed with the suggestion of the National Task Force (NTF) to build a Combined Security Floating Barge in the island.
“This is very pertinent following the drastic increase in the entries and detentions of illegal immigrants from 2019 and 2020. In 2019, 328 illegal immigrants had been detained in Pulau Ketam and 21 seizures worth RM2, 344,573 had been made.

“The amount had increased in 2020 with 2,002 illegal immigrants detained and 207 seizures worth RM11, 736, 918.87 were made,” said Ismail.

Meanwhile, for the teachers/lecturers and families who will return to work in Sabah, they will have to do swab test three days before departure while those returning to Sarawak will have to do swab test before or while at the entry point in Sarawak.

Ismail added, all costs incurred in the screen test will be paid by the Ministry of Health. Those returning to Sarawak will have to be quarantined at the teachers’ institutes once they reach the state. All quarantine costs will be borne by the Sarawak state government.

On the compulsory screenings of foreign workers, Ismail said, 119,940 workers had been screened tested until Jan.8 2021. From the total, 2,572 had been detected with positive COVID-19 while 117,366 were found negative.

“The compulsory screen test on foreign workers had been implemented since 1st Jan.2021 involving the states of Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, Pulau Pinang, Sabah, Kuala Lumpur and Labuan.

“Until today 4,458 employers had been involved in the exercise that was under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases (342 Act) in which an employer who fails to adhere to the directive could be charged and penalised,” said Ismail.- Malaysia World News


more recommended stories