State government’s decision on EMCO can be challenged in court – Minister

  • 36
    Shares

ismail challenge state

KUALA LUMPUR AUG.18: The state government should not take their own decisions to stop several businesses and social activities to resume even though the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) is not imposed in the areas concerned.

Security and Senior Minister, Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said, the Federal Government has allowed such activities to convene after the standard operating procedure (SOP) and strict guidelines have been set to stop the transmissions of COVID-19.

“The state government should refer to the Special Ministers’Meeting on the Implementation of Movement Control Order (MCO) before making any decision on SOP and MCO.

“The same goes to the enforcement of EMCO at certain areas in a state as the state government does not have any specific Act to implement such order and the state’s decision can be challenged in the court,” warned Ismail at a press conference held at Parliament here today.

Ismail added, the Ministry of Health (MOH), National Security Council (NSC) and the Attorney General Department at the state level should advise the state government on the SOP of MCO.

In another development, the MOH’s officers with the Royal Police Malaysia (RPM) personals had conducted 481 spot checks to ensure those on home quarantine adhere to the SOP set by the government. From the spot checks, actions had been taken on four individuals who had not complied with the SOP.

Ismail said the Malaysians abroad who wish to return home are advised to register and give necessary information on the date, time of arrival, and the choice of Quarantine Station whether a hotel or Public Training Institute (ILA) to the National Disaster Management Agency (NADMA).

“NADMA is setting up a portal shortly to process information for the registration purposes,” said Ismail.

On the National Border Control, Ismail said, RPM had detained seven foreigners yesterday (Aug.17) for Immigration offences in the Benteng Operation Road Blocks.

Since May 1 until 17th August, 3,569 illegal immigrants, 652 “tekong” (masters) and 193 smugglers had been detained in the Benteng Operation. In the operation, 134 boats and 362 vehicles had also been detained.

Meanwhile, the Compliance Operation Task Force had made 64,354 checks for monitoring purposes and the enforcement of the Recovery MCO, SOP. In the operation, RPM had detained 93 individuals for not complying with the RMCO, and from those seven individuals had been remanded; four others on bail while 82 were compounded.

Among the RMCO non-compliance activities include the difficulty to adhere to social distancing in the presence of many people (29); activities not complying with SOP (41); not complying with the home quarantine order including cutting the quarantine wrist band (1) and not adhering to the quarantine period (3) and not wearing a face mask (9). –Malaysia World News


  • 36
    Shares

more recommended stories