PUTRAJAYA: A barber from Pakistan who has been serving his clients at their residences during the Control Movement Order (CMO) was detected positive COVID-19 yesterday, and 40 people from his close contacts have been screened and quarantined at home.
Director General of Health, Datuk Dr. Noor Hisham Abdullah said, 25 of his close contacts have been traced through phone calls including four of his housemates and 21 customers.
Ismail said, on June 11, the Titiwangsa Health Office had received a COVID-19 notification from a private clinic. The COVID-19 had infected a Pakistani man who worked in a barber shop in Kuala Lumpur.
“From investigations it was found that the barber shop had stopped its operations since the enforcement of the MCO on March 18.
“However, the barber continued giving hair cut services from house to house following his clients’ requests,” said Dr. Noor Hisham in the press conference held here today.
Dr. Noor Hisham added, the barber shop had started its operation again on June10 and before that the employer had taken the barber for COVID-19 screen test.
“The barber had served 15 of his close contacts until yesterday,” Dr. Noor Hisham added.
He also reported that the Pakistani man had been taken to Sungai Buloh Hospital for further treatment while investigations on the cause of the COVID-19 infections continue.
Meanwhile, on the latest situation of COVID-19, Dr. Noor Hisham said, there are 33 new cases recorded today and that brings the accumulative total to 8.402 while 1,115 are under treatment. He said, from the new cases, 16 were imported while 17 involved local transmissions which had affected 14 non citizens and three Malaysians.
However, he said, one died bringing the death toll to 119 or 1.42% from the accumulative total.
According to Dr. Noor Hisham, the deceased was a female aged 85 and was] detected positive COVID-19 after undergoing screen test. She died on June 11at her residence in Keningau, Sabah. –Malaysia World News