Malaysian govt considers allowing students to go back home after MCO ended

  • 174
    Shares

Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob minister

PUTRAJAYA April 21: The government may consider allowing students of the institute of higher education to go back to their families with the imposition of a strict standard operating procedure (SOP) including health tests once the MCO is lifted.

Security Senior Minister, Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said, the government is studying the matter in detail with the Ministry of Health relating the date and the duration for the students could go back if the MCO is lifted.

“If 100,000 students are allowed to go back they might have to do health test and the time should be fixed. The SOP will not allow people to move too much and these are among the possibilities that will be discussed with the Ministry of Health,” he said in a press conference here today.

Ismail added, parents felt stressful after their children had stayed in the college and university campuses for more than 28 days since the MCO was enforced on March 18 and then extended until 28 April.

Subsequently, those who have gone back to their family’s homes would also want to go back to their houses and start to work.

Ismail added, the Kuala Lumpur Wholesale Market (Pasar Selayang) that is one of the areas under Enhanced MCO has been closed for four days until Thursday for sanitization work. .

However he said, once the market is opened the health of the workers in the market will be monitored to ensure they are free from COVID-19.

He also reminded the local government and the organizers of Ramadhan Bazaar to pay back the deposits paid by the food seller after the bazaar’s plan is cancelled following the enforcement of MCO.

“I hope nobody will take opportunity from others’ difficulty and by right the food sellers should get back their money,” said Ismail.

Ismail said that to answer the problem of some food sellers did not get back the full sum of money from the Ramadhan Bazaar organizer after the plan was banned by the government recently.

The Minister also repeated that MCO is still in force even though the Director General of Health reported there was no death case of COVID-19 yesterday.

On MCO compliance, Ismail said, the police have detained 946 individuals compared to 1,174 a day before for not complying the Order and it includes 822 individuals remanded and 124 on police bails

Ismail added, from 946 detained, 433 were detained in the Red Zone while 10 individuals were charged in the courts. The cumulative total of detentions for not complying MCO until April 20 is 16,870 individuals.

He also reported, 14,937 Malaysians have returned home and had been quarantined since April 3. Since 18th April, 2,317 individuals have completed the 14 days quarantine and were allowed to go back.

Regarding the free facial masks, Ismail said, the government has allocated 32.4 million masks and currently 23.4 million (69%) have been distributed to the district offices in the country. However the distribution of four masks to every household in Sabah and Sarawak begins today. –Malaysia World News


  • 174
    Shares

more recommended stories