Pakistani man dies of COVID-19 in Malaysia

  • 170
    Shares

IMG 20200329 000225

PUTRAJAYA APRIL 8:  A Pakistan man, 69, died in Malaysia today from COVID-19 infection.

Ministry of Health said he is the first foreigner to die of the respiratory virus in Malaysia.

The second death today was a Malaysian female aged 58, bringing the death toll to 65 or 1.58% as of today Wednesday (April 8).

Initial investigations show that the Pakistani man had attended the tabligh assembly in Sri Petaling Mosque in February 2020, which was attended by 16,000 people of whom 14,500 were Malaysians.

Tabligh cluster has contributed to more than 40% of Covid-19 cases in Malaysia. 

Malaysia has recorded 156 new cases of covid-19 today,   bringing the accumulative total to 4,119, while 166 were discharged reaching the total of 1,487 with 2,567 were under treatment.

“From the number of new cases, 45 patients were sent to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and need respiratory aids,” said Director General of Health, Datuk Seri Dr. Noor Hisham Abdulah in a press conference here today.

He added, COVID-19 had also infected 145 other foreigners in Malaysia, with 22 cases in the first wave where 16 were from China and one from United States of America.

In the second wave 95% of COVID-19 positive are Malaysians.

On the progress of Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) in Kluang, Dr. Noor Hisham said, the ministry is happy because the situation is very encouraging and the objective to curb COVID-19 within two weeks of EMCO has been achieved.

“Kluang District, Johor has recorded 174 cases with an additional of 4 today while Sungai Lui, Hulu Langat, Selangor has recorded 91 with an additional of one case today .

“Meanwhile, the situation in Menara City One, Jalan Munshi Abdullah, Kuala Lumpur 2,109 people had done health tests and 30 were detected with COVID-19 positive while 15 were from outside the condominiums.

“The Church Assembly cluster in Kuching Sarawak has recorded an additional of 24 bringing the total of 110 cases until today.

“However the tabligh assembly has recorded 1,707 cases with an additional of 25 new cases today and that is 41% from the accumulative total of COVID-19,” said Dr. Noor Hisham.

Regarding health workers and front liners infected with COVID-19, Dr. Noor Hisham said, 181 were detected positive with two deaths and out from that 122 or 67% had been infected from outside the hospital example at weddings and close contact with family members and friends.

Dr. Noor Hisham also mentioned that 36 health workers were infected with the corona virus while performing their duties in the clinic and ICU. They might be infected while doing the procedures that were related to COVID-19.

“There is no health staff/front liner who works in the COVID-19 ward or ICU that have been infected with COVID-19 until today,” he reiterated.

Regarding the MCO progress, Dr. Noor Hisham said, the Ministry of Health is monitoring the number of new cases in the district and state level every day and so far there is no exponential growth of COVID-19 infection.

“We neither “won nor lost in the war” but we will forward few proposals based on facts and science. We will analyse all the data and forward the proposal to the Cabinet and the Prime Minister in these few days.

“The ministry is very concern about the health and safety of the people,” he reiterated. – Malaysia World News


  • 170
    Shares

more recommended stories