KANGAR: Former Perlis Umno Chief, Datuk Seri Shahidan Kassim was today charged at the Sessions Court (Monday) with molesting an underaged girl alleged to have occurred at the open space of Tuanku Syed Putra Stadium,Kangar on Oct.20.
The Arau MP was charged under Section 14 of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017. If found guilty, he may get jailed up to 10 years and lose his parliamentary seat.
Shahidan who is also the former Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department pleaded not guilty to the charge before judge Johari Hassan.
He was freed on a bail of RM25,000 with two sureties.
The two sureties are his son Amier Shafiq and his son-in law, Muhamad Lokman Abdul Rashid.
The incident was alleged to have happened at the stadium in Kangar about 11.30pm on Oct.20.
The three lawyers that represented Shahidan were Dhalia Rohana Abdul Latiff, Syed Muhammad Anwar Syed Lokman Hakim and Zuhair Ahmad Zakuan.
The prosecution of the case was conducted by Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Mohd. Nordin Ismail and it was fixed for a mention again on Jan.8, 2019.
Before the court fixed the mention date, Mohd. Nordin had requested for a high bail as it was a high profile case and of public interest and Shahidan’s passport seized.
Meanwhile, Dhalia Rohana told the court that Shahidan being the former Perlis Menteri Besar and also Head of the Member of Parliament Delegation at international conferences will not escape or intentionally absent from court to face the charge except for health reasons.
The Court then allowed Shahidan to speak. Shahidan said, he was surprised why the Court released a warrant of arrest on him without notice and made the charge without informing him or his lawyers earlier.
“I pray so that justice and the truth will be served. Allahuakbar!” Shahidan said.
Shahidan’s case has been in the news following a report that went viral this month that alleged him of molesting a girl aged 15 years and 11 months.
However Shahidan had denied the allegation and said that it was a “misunderstanding” and the police report lodged against him had been withdrawn. –Malaysia World News