Gunman injured six African migrants in Italy

 

Crime scene investigators at work after a shooting in Macerata, Italy . Pic EPA

Macerata, Italy: A gunman has wounded six African immigrants in the Italian city of Macerata on Saturday morning.

Italian state police said that at least one person was in serious condition. 

The suspect involved in the shootings was identified as Luca Traini, a 28-year-old white Italian man, and he was arrested immediately.

The attack was motivated by “racial hatred”, according to Interior Minister Marco Minniti. 

Macerata Mayor Romano Carancini confirmed that six foreigners, all black, were wounded in the shooting spree, one with life-threatening injuries.

“They were all of color, this is obviously a grave fact. As was grave what happened to Pamela. The closeness of the two events makes you imagine there could be a connection,” Carancini said.

 A video posted on local media shows the suspect wearing an Italian flag around his neck at the time of his arrest.

Italian news agency Ansa reported Traini made a fascist salute when he was arrested.

Italian media reported that Traini ran as a candidate in local elections in Corridonia last year with the far-right Lega party. 

Matteo Salvini, Lega’s leader, condemned Saturday’s shootings: “out-of-control immigration” leads to social conflict. 

The leader of Italy’s Democratic Party PD, Matteo Renzi, called for calm in a Facebook post. 

Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni said that “hatred and violence will not be able to divide us”.

Italian police told people to take shelter indoors on Twitter.

@Malaysia World News

 

more recommended stories

Seo wordpress plugin by www.seowizard.org.