PUTRAJAYA: Malaysia had 260 new COVID-19 cases on October 1 and that was the second highest daily record after 277 cases reached on June 4 involving 270 non-citizens at the Immigration Detention Depot in Bukit Jalil.
Director General of Health, Tan Sri Dr. Noor Hisham Abdullah said the figure was very worrying as on 26th March 2020 with 235 cases the government had imposed the Movement Control Order (MCO) phase one.
He said the recent increase in COVID-19 cases was focused in Sabah and Kedah besides new clusters had been formed in other states.
“The Ministry of Health (MOH) would like to highlight the announcement made by the Senior and Defence Minister, Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob on the implementation of the Control District Travel in the state of Sabah effective from October 3, 12.01am until October 16, 2020.
“However, the Targetted Enhanced Control Movement Order imposed in Tawau, Lahad Datu, Kunak and Semporna that was announced earlier will still be effective,” said Dr. Noor Hisham at a press conference held here today (Oct.1).
Dr. Noor Hisham said, Sabah leads the new COVID-19 cases with 118, Kedah (98); Kuala Lumpur (13);Selangor (13); Johor (5); Putrajaya (5); Terengganu (2); Perlis (2); Melaka (1), Pahang (1) and Penang (1).
Meanwhile, four new clusters were formed namely the Jalan Meru cluster in Selangor, Joo Hwa ( Sabah), Selasih (Putrajaya) and Bah Ketil in Kedah.
The new cases of COVID-19 said Dr. Noor Hisham has contributed to the cumulative total of 11,484 where 1,334 are active cases and have been isolated and receive treatment at the hospitals nationwide.
“From the 260 cases, 259 are local transmissions while one imported with a travel history to the United Kingdom.
“The COVID-19 new cases had affected 130 citizens and 129 non citizens including cases with a travel history to Sabah.
“Since September 20, 119 people with a travel history to Sabah had been detected with positive COVID-19,” he added.
The new COVID-19 cases have travel history to Sabah, and it includes 9 in Selangor, Johor (1), Putrajaya (1), Terengganu (1), Perlis (2), Kedah (1) Melaka (1), Pahang (1) Kuala Lumpur (1) and Penang 1.
There was no death case recorded and the death toll remained at 136 (1.18%). Twenty cases were admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and three needed respiratory aids. –Malaysia World News